WOW! I don’t even know where to begin. This second trimester has been packed with so many fun and exciting memories. I have truly loved every minute of pregnancy and have no complaints (…so far 😉 ). Each week brings new joys and new developments for baby, and I’m cherishing the days one by one. I’ve never been an overly emotional, or overly anxious person and pregnancy hasn’t changed that. I feel calm and at peace that everything is moving along just as it should…because why worry about things I can’t control?? My mom has been a great example for me as a woman of faith…and I grew up with this verse as a constant reminder in our home:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?” -Matthew 6:25-27
Worrying never accomplishes anything; and so I’ve continued to hold tight to this verse during pregnancy.
When we left off after the first trimester, Kendrick and I had just moved into our new apartment. We started the second trimester with a trip to Lake Tahoe to celebrate Kendrick’s 33rd birthday. We did not know the gender at this point but I wrote in my journal about a dream I had that I thought it was a boy. Little did I know that in a few short weeks we would know for sure!!
- Baby is the size of a lemon
- His neck is getting longer and he is no longer slouched
- He is sprouting hair and his eyebrows are filling in
- The roof of his mouth is developing
- His digestive system has started working, and his intestines are now producing meconium (waste)
- Baby is the size of an orange
- Baby’s ears are positioned on the sides of his head and his eyes are moving from side of the head to front of the face…(he is no longer an alien!)
- I’m definitely eating for two…
- Baby is the size of an avoado
- His facial muscles are developing and he can now frown and squint
- His eyes are working and can perceive light (although his lids are still sealed)
- Baby can hear my voice!
- We find out baby is a BOY!
- He is the size of a turnip
- Baby’s heartbeat is beating twice as fast as mine
- His fingerprints are forming
- We travel to South Carolina to visit my in-laws and meet our nephew!
- Still enjoying vacation in South Carolina, my sister-in-law takes gender reveal photos for us
- Baby can yawn and hiccup
- His nervous system is maturing
- He is the size of a mango
- I’m starting to browse nursery furniture
- The vernix develops protecting his skin from the amniotic fluid
- We are half-way there!
- He is the size of a small cantaloupe
- I feel baby kick for the first time! (while watching The Bachelorette…hehe)
- He weighs as much as a coconut
- His eyes can finally open
- Baby is the size of a banana! (his dad’s favorite fruit)
- He is sleeping 14 hours a day and can taste the foods I eat
- Arms and legs are finally in proportion, neurons are now connected between the brain and muscles – explains why I have started to feel him kicking!
- Baby is the size of a spaghetti squash
- My momma comes into town!
- He now weighs 1 pound
- His grip, vision, and hearing are getting stronger
- We make a trip up to wine country to celebrate my mom’s 50th birthday!
- He is the size of a papaya
- Capillaries and lung cells begin their maturation process so baby can breathe
- Keratin is being added to his skin cells
- Skin has a red hue- due to developing veins and arteries
- My dad comes into town!
- Kendrick has a dream of being at Disneyworld with our little boy…in his dream his hair is black and his eyes are dark and Kendrick said he looked like me and had my smile 🙂
- We are back in Tahoe for summer vacation!
- Baby is the size of an ear of corn
- His face is almost fully formed
- Baby’s brain cells have matured enough to develop conscious thought and most likely memory
- I go stand-up paddle boarding on the lake
- Baby is the size of a rutabaga (an ugly looking turnip)
- He is SUPER active
- Kendrick and I go to Babies R Us to browse some strollers and gliders for the nursery
- Baby is about 13 inches long- longer than a ruler!
- Baby is packing on the fat
- His nostrils are opening- he’s not taking in air yet, just “breathing” amniotic fluid
- He is the size of an eggplant
- We (or should I say Kendrick) sets up his crib!
- He weighs 2 pounds
- He can open his eyes!
- His eyelashes are growing in
- Teeny tiny fingernails have arrived
- He is the size of a cucumber
- We’ve made it to the end of the second trimester…and I’m in total nesting mode! No resting for this momma; I’ve been cleaning out baby’s closet, organizing his things and hanging those precious clothes
- Sept. 9th-Kendrick hears his heartbeat through my tummy!
- Baby grows an entire inch this week alone
I feel so incredibly blessed to be entering this third and final stage. It’s been an amazing process and as I’ve been writing and looking back on his development, it is a total miracle for sure!
In just 3 short months our little man will be here…I’m thinking this Christmas will be my favorite yet ❤
Here’s a look back at the growing bump :