Try to say that three times fast…
Lately I’ve been on a Mexican food kick, and it’s kind of surprising me! I didn’t grow up eating a whole lot of Mexican food; my mom would make tacos or enchiladas…but that was pretty much it. I don’t recall eating a lot of beans either, which would shock my husband; since he pretty much lived on rice and beans.
When I moved to California, I was blessed with a plentiful of hole-in-the-wall taquerias and authentic Mexican cuisine. Now I’ve started cooking it at home…and any recipe that contains beans, chicken (or beef) and rice, you can bet I’m pinning it on Pinterest.
The greatest part of this Green Chile Chicken Soup is that it’s made in the Crock-Pot!! Our Crock-Pot got buried in our kitchen for a while; but since winter began, it’s been resurrected. My husband was skeptical about putting raw meat in there, but when he saw how easily it pulled apart after 4 hours; he dubbed it the most amazing appliance ever.
So…are you ready to make this soup??
- About 2 lbs. of chicken breast, fat removed
- Half an onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans green chiles ( I used the Fire Roasted Diced green chile from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 32 oz container of chicken broth
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
- Throw in the chopped onion, and minced garlic in the Crock-Pot.
- Top with chicken breast and spices.
- Add undrained cans of green chiles and salsa verde
- Add the white beans (drained and rinsed) and chicken broth.
- Cook on high for 4 hours; or on low for 8 hours.
- Before serving, pull out the chicken and shred on a plate. Return to Crock-Pot. Squeeze fresh lime and salt to taste.
- Serve hot with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and cilantro. (My husband also added avocado on top.)
Let me know what you think in the comments below! Be sure to tag your creation on Instagram using the hashtag: #mrskfitinthekitchen.
Happy March 1! : )